Insects – Pest Control
Barricade Pest Control are specialists in treating insect infestations. We serve homes, restaurants and hotels in Edinburgh and the surrounding area, and have all the necessary training and safety equipment needed to remove problem insects from your home or property. See below for information on some of the common insect infestations that we frequently help our customers with.
If you think you might have a problem with insect infestation, contact us for advice
Call now on 0131 659 9752
We keep our prices fair and will offer a quotation immediately on site
Wasp nest removal
Wasps are a common pest, especially towards the end of summer. Wasps build nests which can become very large and need to be professionally removed. If you try to remove a wasps nest yourself, the wasps inside the nest are likely to become aggressive and try to sting you. This is because they are trying to protect the nest and their young inside.
Wasp stings can potentially trigger allergic reactions and in rare cases a sting might trigger the victim to go into anaphylactic shock
How to get rid of wasps
- If you are being bothered by large numbers of wasps, then it is likely that you have a wasp nest on your property, or very nearby.
- We strongly advise you not to try to remove a large nest yourself
- We use special protective clothing and chemicals to eradicate the wasps and remove the nest
- It is best to remove the nest as soon as possible. Dealing with a small wasp nest in the springtime can help you avoid a bigger problem during the summer months
For wasp nest removal in Edinburgh, call us on 0131 659 9752
Cockroaches are known to spread serious diseases including salmonella and dysentery. We advise that you contact professional pest control experts at the first signs of a potential infestation.
These insects are usually attracted by a food source such as food scraps and pet food. However, they will eat anything, including animal droppings (such as pet hamsters and rabbits) and even leather and paper.
Spot the signs of a cockroach infestation
You may have a problem with cockroaches if you have noticed any of the following signs:
- Droppings – cockroach droppings are 2mm long, cylindrical and dark brown/black. If there is easy access to water the droppings might appear as a dark brown irregular shaped smear.
- Seeing a cockroach during the day – they are nocturnal so if they are feeding during the day then you might have an infestation
- Signs of damage or nibbled food.
- Shed skins and egg casings – cockroaches shed their skin 5-8 as they grow into adults
- Unusual smell – A lingering, unpleasant musty smell may signal an infestation.
Call us on 0131 659 9752 for cockroach control
Ants are not thought to carry disease, but they can be a real nuisance if they start to come inside your home. If you think you might have ants in the house, there are several basic steps you can take to get rid of ants:
- Cover food and do not leave scraps lying around.
- Clean up all spillages immediately, ants are particularly attracted to sweet sticky substances
- Clear away your pet’s food as soon as it has finished eating
- Seal any gaps and cracks in window frames, door frames and walls to stop ants getting in
If this does not solve the problem, then give us a call. Barricade Pest Control can get rid of ants in your house or business premises quickly and safely.
Call us on 0131 659 9752 for ant control
Bed bugs, as their name suggests, are usually found in bedrooms. These small, flat brown insects tend to seek shelter in mattress seams, and crevices around the bed – particularly near the headboard.
Signs of bed bugs include:
- Itchy red bites, often many bites in a tight line
- Blood stains on your sheets
- Your mattress might have dark staining from their faeces
- An unpleasant, sweet sickly smell might indicate an established bedbug infestation.
It is possible to to get rid of bed bugs by yourself. Cleaning bedding, linens, curtains, and clothing in very hot water can help. It is also advisable to vacuum your mattress after scrubbing the seams with a stiff brush.
If in doubt call 0131 659 9752 to get rid of bed bugs
Hide beetle and Carpet beetle are a common problem in Scottish houses. They usually are found in kitchens, where the beetles feed on food crumbs. Beetles live and breed in dark areas, such as under cupboards and appliances. It is important to clean up any food debris and remove pet food when your pets have finished eating.
Adult Hide beetles are 5-12mm long and oval shaped. The larvae can be up to 14mm long and look like a small centipede.
Carpet beetles are 2-4mm long, and have a brown body with yellow or white mottled marks.
Approved insecticides are the best way to completely get rid of beetles in your house. Our professional exterminators will need to carry out 2 treatments.
Call us on 0131 659 9752 for Beetle control
Fleas are a common problem particularly in houses with pets such as cats or dogs. They are usually around 2-3mm long, and red or brown in colour. These small insects feed on human blood and can cause itchy bites.
Flea control is mostly a case of good hygiene to prevent fleas becoming established in carpets and bedding:
- Vacuum carpets, pet bedding and cracks and crevices in furniture and floors. Use strong suction and take care when emptying the vacuum.
- Wash pet bedding regularly at 50°C or more
- Shake rugs and bedding outdoors so that fleas and their eggs fall off
If you find that you have a persistent problem with fleas and would like professional help to solve it, please call the experts today.
Call us on 0131 659 9752 for Flea Control
Carpet Moths and Clothes Moths are known to eat the fibres in clothing and carpets. They eat through natural materials such as wool, cotton, silk, fur and leather in order to get protein. Moths pose no health risk, but they can cause irreversible damage to your possessions so it is best to deal with an infestation right away.
To get rid of moths we can use certified fumigation and insecticide methods. These do not contain harmful chemicals which makes them suitable for protecting valuable items in your home.